Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year 2010

The much celebrated Christmas has just passed. All the presents have been unwrapped except for one more _ the gift of the New Year. . . . It is yet to unfold.

As the remaining days of December keep shrinking closer to the end of 2009, the anticipation of what 2010 has in store for us brings a tingling excitement, mixed with anxiety. We are about to face a new chapter, and like all chapters in a novel, 2010 is interwoven with the previous years in our lives.


What we started or what we learned in the past continues on to next year. Would it be the end of our misfortunes and bad habits?

Would it be a continuation of chasing an old dream? Would it be another promising year? Another chance perhaps? Or would it be the same as 2009.

While most people are so absorbed by the unknown, I choose to look back and reflect on what I already know _ the things that I missed out and the wisdom I gained. Knowing my weakness and strength would certainly prepare me for the challenges ahead. There are no guarantees, but understanding my priorities and inner self builds me a road map to where I want to go. Would I get there? Again, there are no guarantees, but one thing is certain, I will try my hardest to make the most of what the New Year has to offer, one sunrise at a time.

Each day is a new aspiration. January 1st is no different. It comes to start the year with a sunrise of new beginning, new hope and new chance for reconciliation. Let us not live from year to year but live as if today is the last day, for tomorrow’s morning light may never come.


At midnight when the clock signals the arrival of 2010, I will be with my family. It is a strict family tradition that was passed on to me by my parents. I grew up feeling as if it was a sin to break it, sort of like the eleventh commandment. Now, my grown-up daughters, all living on their own, observe the tradition the same way as I did. Wherever they are, they will find their way home before midnight, on time to be with the family in welcoming the New Year.


Why is it that the beginning of the year is celebrated and not the end of the year? Well, would you rather celebrate a funeral than a birth of a child? Like New Year, a newborn baby brings the gift of joy, dreams and hopes.

Come 2010, we have another 12 months before the next New Year arrives. Let us all try to make it a better year for you and for me. Don’t forget to say a prayer; live a simple life and give thanks for all the blessings received in 2009.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

No comments: